Nowadays, most people have shown their interest to learn web design and development. There are several reasons behind it. Every business, startup, or even store owner wants to grab an online audience, and it is possible with a professional website. You can promote various products and services through your website and attract new customers. When it comes to customers, the majority of them are always interested in checking the website of the company first. A professional website is a symbol of credibility and authority in the business world.
The need for web developers is increasing, and there are never-ending tasks and job opportunities for them. So, if you have joined this journey as a web developer, then it can be the best decision of your life. No doubt, web development is complex; however, you can learn it easily with the help of useful resources. There are some paid and unpaid options that allow a developer to learn these skills at home.
Here is a special guide for beginners to learn web development & design.
Learn Web Design and Development at Home
Keep in mind that skill matters whether it is learned from a university or at home. Studying at the university and learning codes doesn’t mean you are more experienced than a person who learns everything at home. Nowadays, most employers don’t even ask for a degree. No doubt, college, and university have their own importance, so if you can’t avail of such an opportunity, you can learn everything at home. There are tons of resources online which allow you to learn web design and development at home.
Launched in 2009, Udemy is the most popular platform for anyone to teach and learn anything. Udemy is the largest online learning platform, with 157,000 courses in 56 languages. It has 40 million learners around the world and 70,000 instructors who teach various types of courses. The recent pandemic forced people to work from home and learn skills. Therefore, the number of courses increased by 60% in 2020.
Udemy is your go-to online platform if you want to be a freelance web designer or freelance web developer. Each instructor on Udemy has unique skills and methods of teaching, so don’t forget to check the introductory video and course content. The pricing for coding and web development is reasonable. There are several other reasons to choose Udemy, such as lifetime access, continuous content update, Udemy student community, wide selection, and money-back guarantee.
With the motive of world-class learning, Coursera was founded in 2012. With 92 million learners and over 7000 courses, Coursera is now popular in 190 countries across the globe. A user or learner can find academic courses from renowned institutions. No particular degree or qualification is required to learn a web design and development course from Coursera. This platform is distinctive because the knowledge you get comes from credible and reputed universities and departments. Join Coursera with a 7-day free trial and explore different aspects of computer science and learn web design and development online.
If you want to learn web design and development or you’re interested in learning code, then Codeacademy is the right platform for you. Founded in 2011, Codeacademy now has approximately 85 million learners from 190 countries. This platform enables students to learn basic to advanced coding and web development knowledge. The website has free courses for beginner-level students, and for advanced courses with deeper research and knowledge, the students have to pay $149.99 yearly.
Other Free and Paid Options to Learn Web Design and Development at Home
- Lynda.com is another famous platform to learn different types of web design, such as custom web design, front-end web design, and complete WordPress website development. It is combined with LinkedIn Insight for a better user experience. Lynda gives unlimited access to the students at $29 a month.
- YouTube is another great platform for everyone to learn web design and development at home. Instead of wasting time on other videos, you can watch a few videos daily and learn web development easily. There are many mentors who are offering their complete courses to the general public. The benefit of YouTube is that you can find the required course in your native language for better understanding.
- FreeCodeCamp was launched in 2014, and since then, it has been helping people in various fields, including web development and web design. All the courses on this platform are free of cost. Their teaching method is worth admiring, which covers practices of coding from basic to advanced levels. Moreover, there is a separate section for learning to code effectively.
- The Odin Project is a great option for a beginner who wants to learn web design and development. The Odin Project is completely free for all students because it is an open-source project. Their goal is to teach you everything in web development so that you can make your mark in the real world as a developer in a web design company.
Steps to Learn Web Design and Development at Home
- If you want to become a full-time web developer, you must keep in mind that it is not as easy as you think. Web design and development are full of challenges; therefore, you must be ready to accept those challenges. Make your mind and be consistent.
- Get a basic understanding of web design and development. For example, know the difference between web design and development and eCommerce website development cost. Learn about the web design processes such as setting goals, creating sitemap, publishing content, testing, and launching.
- Now comes the stage of learning where you must explore the above-mentioned platforms to learn it from scratch to end. The first and most recommended source of learning web design and development is book reading. Similarly, learn PDF content, blog articles, video tutorials, and from professionals.
- For the most modern and most appealing websites, you have to know and learn about the web development elements such as fonts, color, typography, graphics, layout, and responsive design. You have to learn several tools to help you with creating an effective website. Several tools like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Mockplus are imperative to learn for every developer. Similarly, you must learn about website builders, SEO, and design trends.
- In this step, you have to use your knowledge to create a website. And obviously, there will be some flaws, so you can ask experts or fellow developers for feedback.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the three types of web development?
Three types of web development include front-end web development, back-end web development, and full-stack web development.
- What is the most important step in web development?
Project planning is the most important step where the developers decide the goals and objectives they are going to develop.
- What is the Importance of problem-solving skills in website design and development?
Learning website development at home is possible. There are plenty of resources and platforms where you can learn and explore this skill. We have articulated numerous websites that offer free and paid tutorials and courses for learners. Similarly, if you are a beginner and want to become a developer, follow the above-mentioned steps to stay on track.